Sunday, February 10, 2013

Morningstar Farms: Hit or Miss? a BzzAgent review

The good folks at BzzAgent offered me an opportunity to try Morningstar Farms veggie products for free (we all like free, right?) recently, and I quickly said yes.  During the last year I've been watching my diet and increasing physical activity in hopes of shrinking my waistline.  Since I love meat and find it hard to reduce the amount I eat without feeling like I'm deprived, this opportunity came along at the right time. I'd tried other veggie products in the past (does Burger King still make that veggie burger?), and found them less than desirable.  Finding an occasional substitute for meat to aid in my quest for better health would be a good thing.



I tried both the Morningstar Farms sausage links and Grillers Prime Veggie Burgers.  How surprised was I that they actually tasted like the real thing?  This is one of those times when I am reminded that how you season your food can make a vast difference in how satisfying it is when removing the unhealthy fats.  (Now, there is nothing better than biting into a big juicy burger, but we all know you can't eat one every day if you don't want your arteries to explode).  



I'm a big fan of the breakfast sandwich, so I microwaved my sausage links (note to self - patties would work better here), and placed them on an english muffin with a slice of american cheese.  Being honest here, I will tell you that I missed the slightly greasy texture of real sausage, but the fact that two links is only 80 calories per serving, coupled with good sausage flavor, makes up for that difference in texture.  Same with the veggie burger, which tasted very close to a real, grilled hamburger - at only 170 calories and 39% less fat according to the Morningstar Farms nutrition gurus.  

Morningstar Farms has definitely changed my mind about meatless products, and I've found a great way to incorporate some "Meatless Mondays" into my healthy lifestyle.  Be sure to check out all their tasty ideas over at Morningstar Farms and let me know what you think.




1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to try the morningstar products! Now I definitely will! Love it so far Melissa!

    ReplyDelete